Wednesday 19 September 2007

Hello Melbourne, here I am!

G'day mates!

Finally I have landed in Melbourne.
Everything is new, everything is exciting, so I did not have time to start this blog earlier...I am already in Melbourne now for 3 weeks and I am really enjoying this city! But let me start from the beginning:

Sunday 2nd of September:
After a 5 hours flight over the whole red continent from Darwin to Melbourne I arrived in the student hostel: 90% of the students in the hostel are Asian, 9% are Indian people and 1% is Austrian....ME. People are nice, but it's so hard to get in touch with Chinese and Indian people...I really tried hard, but they really don't show any interest in you. I realized quite soon that I don't wanna be happy in this hostel - so lets have a look for an appartment!

Monday 3rd of September, 8.00 am:
My first working day in the Box Hill Hospital, Surgical Department: People are so great here. They really took me up "like their own son". In the morning I can help out in outpatients and ward, in the afternoon I can join the operating theatre. Although, most of the time the electives (Famulanten) are watching, you are surely not allowed to practice more than in Austria.

Friday 8th of September:
Weekend! I already have made a lot of new friends in Melbourne. How? Actually, I met a girl in the plane to Australia who is also doing an internship in Melbourne - she introduced me to her friends and they introduced me to their friends and they introduced me to their friends....and they invited me to drive the Great Ocean Road. That's a spectacular street from Melbourne to Adelaide with great views on the ocean. We where 8 people in 2 Toyotas. Exactly at the sunset we arrived at the 12 apostles, 12 rock formations shaped by the sea (actually there are only 7 or 8 left, the other one collapsed) Just check out the photos!

Week 2:
What an awesome week! There was a lot to do in the hospital, one day I joined the surgical on call team (Nachtdienst), what was a quite cool experience: There were some emergency cases, life threatening operations - quite a bit of action. But also outside the hospital there was a lot going on. A lot of parties, a lot of new people, a lot for the liver to work ;)
We spent the weekend in Melbourne, training our liver enzymes even a little bit more in the evening and resting the day in Melbournes amazing Botanic Garden, the biggest one in Australia.

Week 3:
Finally I moved out of the "Chinatown hostel" and moved into my new appartment in the middle of the city. I love the view of my room, I just could stay there for hours! I also have got a good connection to my flatmate, nice guy with a good sense of humour.
Tomorrow I will change to vascular surgery, I am looking forward to see some bloody operations.

OK, that's the latest from Andi Down Under. Hope everyone of you is fine. If I find time, I will update the blog with a short review of Darwin and Brisbane where I have been before I came to Melbourne. So check out my blog regularly...

Best wishes to all of you
Andi

3 comments:

Fifoxtasy said...

nice!
kommst also doch noch dazu einen blog zu schreiben!
genieß deine zeit!

grüsse aus spanien
philipp

Unknown said...

Hey, Very nice, i loved your blog with photos!!!
I'm glad you're enjoying a lot in australia!
And you are also doing a clerkship in surgery, I think you'll be a surgeon, you can't avoid it hahahahaha
did you receive my cd with the photos and videos i took in austria?
so,
keep in touch man! I hope you know many nice people like you!
And, don't forget to tell us everything about your trip!
Send me a e-mail when you write more...
I'm missing our chats and laughts hahahaha
Hugs, from your brazilian friend,
Gustavo Rosa

Michi said...

Hi Andi,

Ich bin soooo neidisch!! Echt wahnsinnig super Fotos. Bei mir gehts am 1.10. wieder los- mit Innere. Bleibst du eigentlich bis zum Semsterende??? Ich hatte ganz nette Ferien, viel gefaulenzt, wenig is gar nix gelernt. War aber ein bisserl wandern, schwimmen, in Kroatien und hab bei einem Kinderlager mitarbeitet (kann jetzt Spaghetti Bolognese für 36 Personen kochen - also komm bald wieder für eine Kostprobe zurück). Genieß Australien und mach ganz viele Fotos, die du mir dann zeigen kannst. Liebe Grüße und bis bald Michi.