Wednesday 21 November 2007

Sydney - first three weeks

Hey mates,

Now I have already been in Sydney for 3 weeks...time enough to give you a short update how it's like here. In the beginning it was quite hard to be honest - everything was new again, new people, new hospital, new environment. I really had such a good time in Melbourne, so I was really missing the convenience of it, all my friends, my great apartment and even my work place there.
But - to make a long story short - I feel good now in Sydney! This city is so amazing! I just love it sitting next to the opera house, watching the sea and listen to some chilled music. I couldn't believe that a building can fascinate me in such a way, but you have to see the opera to understand what I am talking about: it's really magical!


I already have been to a concert in the Opera: The Sydney Symphony Orchestra played Rachmaninov. I went there with an italian girl - we bought 2 standing tickets for 25 bucks each, but finally we somehow ended up sitting next to Sydneys high society...:)

The cool thing about Sydney is, that it has got not only great culture but also beautiful nature spots: on the one hand there are some great beaches - I just love the waves at Manly beach - I even think about buying a surfboard :)) . Or let's take Bondi beach - it's not just a beach, it is a institution! On the other hand we have got the Blue Mountains quite close - great for relaxed bushwalking.


And my work place? Well, the hospital is quite ok, the standard is surely lower than in our hospitals or compared to the hospital in Melbourne. In the beginning my motivation was quite low (I just arrived from Cairns, so my thoughts were still under water rather than in the hospital...). But the really tried to integrate me well in the Neurology team and especially my intern is such an easy-going mate. Some days are good, some days are boring - but in all I am quite content. Next week I will switch to paediatrics, that is supposed to be busier.

The accomodation is provided by the hospital - a old brick building built somewhen in the 1950s. Quite shabby, but all the overseas students and some of the local guys are living there, so it's good fun. It's a little bit like Big Brother: there is always somebody sitting around you to chat, to go out with or to organize one of our legendary BBQ on our own terrace...

Ok, weather is gonna be fine - about 30 degrees - so I need to go now - yeah, to the beach!

See you there....

Andi

ps: check out my Sydney photo gallery...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, very good life you in Sidney dont you think? hehehehe
so, you're going to be a surfer man !!!
Hugs

Fifoxtasy said...

enjoy the beach, but be prepared for icy temperatures and lots of powder when you come back home.